Ingredients for 4
- 350g tomato passata or canned tomatoes
- 1 small bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 large aubergine, sliced 2cm thick
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 500g pasta, large penne preferably
- salty ricotta cheese, Parmesan or Pecorino
Cook the passata or the canned tomatoes for 30 minutes before turning off the heat and adding the basil and a spoon of extra virgin olive oil. Meanwhile the aubergine is cut into 2cm thick round slices and soaked in cold, well-salted water for 10 minutes before being rinsed and drained.
Next fry the aubergine, drain the oil on kitchen paper and set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta; drain.
Combine the tomato sauce with the drained pasta and serve with a couple of slices of aubergine on top then a generous serving of grated salty ricotta cheese!
Buon Appetito ????????